A dental crown is a synthetic cap that is placed over an entire tooth. Dental crowns are used to restore a tooth's function and appearance.
What Are the Uses of Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns can be used for several purposes, and below are a few of them:
- To protect a damaged tooth from breaking
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To serve as the artificial tooth in a dental implant restoration
- To improve the appearance of your smile
- To hold a weak or misshapen tooth in place
What Is the Procedure for Placing Dental Crowns?
The placement of dental crowns takes two visits to the dentist's office. During your first visit, the dentist in Portland OR will take impressions of your teeth so that a crown can be designed to fit them perfectly. The impression is sent to a dental lab where the crown is made. Meanwhile, a temporary crown will be placed over the treated tooth to protect it.
On the second visit, your temporary crown is removed, and the treated tooth is then cleaned. During the process, the dentist will administer local anesthesia to numb your mouth and ensure you do not experience any pain. The tooth will then be roughened and etched so that the crown can bond properly with it.
The prepared tooth will then be covered with an acrylic coating and will be roughened again. The crown will be placed over it, checked for fit and bite, polished, and cemented permanently into place.
How Long Do Dental Crowns Last?
- Dental crowns last for several years, provided you take good care of them properly.
- You should avoid biting or chewing on hard objects with your treated tooth because it could damage your crown as well as your treated tooth.
- You should brush your teeth twice every day using proper technique and floss daily so that food does not get stuck between your teeth, which can also damage your dental crown.
- You should visit your dentist every six months for checkups so that they can examine your dental crowns to see if they have begun to chip or wear out and need replacing before they become too damaged or broken.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns have several advantages and benefits like:
- They improve the aesthetics of your smile by making your teeth look more uniform and straight.
- They help correct damage to your teeth so that you do not lose them.
- They protect weak and damaged teeth from further damage caused by chewing hard foods or biting down too hard on something.
- They help conceal large fillings in front teeth as well as broken, cracked, or worn-down teeth so that you get back your smile's confidence.
- They help improve how you bite and chew food so that you can eat comfortably without any pain or discomfort in your mouth.
To learn more about the dental services at Pacific Woods Dental, call 503-292-5483, and schedule an appointment now!