Dental Implant is a type of prosthetic restorative treatment that replaces the damaged root of a tooth. A titanium implant is surgically placed into the patient's jawbone, which acts as the root of the tooth. At Pacific Woods Dental, dentists suggest dental implants for patients who prefer to enjoy long-lasting benefits from their restorative treatment.
Who Would Qualify for Dental Implants Restorations?
In order to undergo a dental implant procedure, the patient should have healthy gums and good bone density. They should also possess good dental health for better healing or faster recovery.
What Is the Procedure for Dental Implant Treatment?
The dentist of Pacific Woods Dental initiates the dental implant procedure through a complete dental checkup of the patient. Several X-rays of the mouth are obtained through a digital imaging system. It aids in drafting the appropriate treatment plan for the patient. The dentist in Portland OR communicates the treatment plan to the patient, which helps them to move forward with the procedure.
The first step of the treatment is to extract the tooth in treatment. The dentist removes the tooth through a simple or surgical extraction procedure and allows the gums to heal completely. In the next dental appointment, the dentist makes a small incision on the gums and places the implant into the jawbone which is then allowed to heal. The Osseointegration process during the healing period bonds the patient's jawbone with the implant.
In the subsequent visit, the dentist places an abutment over the implant, which helps to support the artificial tooth. It is a minor surgical process that requires a healing period. An artificial prosthesis of the patient's choice is fabricated with the help of dental measurements. It is secured in the treatment area with the help of dental adhesives.
The patient should follow the instructions provided by the dentist for the proper healing process. They should not indulge in damaging habits like smoking as it may prolong the healing process and lead to dental complications. The patient should also avoid chewing hard food for a few weeks to promote proper healing. Regular visits to the dentist are mandatory to analyze the success of the implant procedure.
What Are the Advantages of Dental Implants?
- Dental implants look exactly like natural teeth. They are made from a highly-customizable material, which allows them to mimic the aesthetics of natural teeth perfectly.
- A Dental implant can be used either as an implant or as a replacement tooth. It will stay stable on your jawbone, thereby eliminating any chances of it slipping off.
- The metal stud on the implant will hold the ceramic crown firmly in position. It wouldn't get displaced even if you bite hard on any food while eating or during regular oral activities.
- The ceramic crown will look exactly like a natural tooth, making it indistinguishable from the adjoining natural teeth. The color, texture, and translucency of the ceramic crown can be customized as required, making it look just like the enamel.
- Implants offer excellent strength and resistance to wear. Even if you bite into anything hard, you won't put any pressure on the implant itself, which is why they last for several years together without any hassle.
- Dental implants last for several years together without undergoing any major changes to their structure or functionality.
To learn more about the dental services at Pacific Woods Dental, call 503-292-5483, and schedule an appointment now!